- About Us
- Athletics Home
- Performing Arts
AP World History
AP World History Summer Assignment
Mr. Jeff Anderson
AP World History Teacher
If you have questions at all over the summer on this assignment, feel free to email me and I will get back to you within 24 hours.
Welcome to your first assignment for AP World History for the 2011-2012 school year! This summer assignment is designed to meet the expectations of College Board (the organization that sponsors all of the AP programs) by increasing the rigor of the course. In this assignment, you will be assessed on your reading comprehension and writing skills in answering a multitude of questions.
You are to read the book This Fleeting World by David Christian, and fully answer all of the questions attached in this packet.
You may obtain the book from a number of different sources. I have researched and located a few locations for you to use to get a hold of a copy. Remember, if you order the book online, you will need to give it some time to ship to you, so the sooner you order the better.
1. Barnes and Nobles…$12.95 (order online)
2. Amazon.com…$12.95 (order online)
3. Kindle Download…$9.99 (immediate download and readily accessible)
4. eBooks.com…$17.94 (order online)
I ordered my copy on my Kindle, but even if you don’t have a Kindle, you can download the app on your phone for free…and the book can also be read on your computer as well using this resource. If you have any trouble locating a copy, please let me know and I will be more than happy to help out as best I can.
ALL ANSWERS MUST BE HAND-WRITTEN…TYPED RESPONSES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. Please write your answers in the space provided on the worksheet.
First day of school at the beginning of class.
This Fleeting World
By David Christian
1. What role does this book play in the telling of history?
2. What role did supernovae play in creating the universe?
3. What “probably” wiped out the dinosaurs?
4. Where and when did our species begin?
Beginnings: The Era of Foragers
5. Who or what are “foragers”?
6. Why has the era of foragers typically not been studied by historians?
7. What 3 types of evidence are used to study this era?
8. What is the impact of Carbon dating?
9. When did human history begin? Explain the theories and their evidence.
10. What is the significance of symbolic language?
11. How do anthropologists know/learn about foraging communities?
12. Why were population densities low in foraging communities?
13. How were small foraging communities tied together and organized?
14. How did men and women share the work and power?
15. What is the fundamental cosmological model of the universe of foraging peoples?
16. Why might some people say that foragers were affluent?
17. How long would it take for 11 people to become 22 people using the doubling time of the foraging era?
18. Why did Australia and the Americas have so many extinctions of large mammals?
19. What impact did those extinctions have on the history of these regions?
20. What does the term “affluent forager” mean and why were they significant?
Acceleration: The Agrarian Era
21. What is agriculture and how did it impact human life?
22. When and where did agriculture start?
23. How might climate change have contributed to the rise of farming?
24. How might population growth have caused sedentary lifestyles?
25. Where and why did agriculture spread rapidly?
26. What are the 6 characteristics shared by agrarian communities?
27. How did population growth percentages compare in farming villages versus foraging communities?
28. What is the secondary product revolution and how did it impact humans?
29. How can pottery help prove if the theory of a “secondary products” revolution is true?
30. In what regions did irrigation farming have the biggest impact?
31. What are “Malthusian cycles”?
32. Why were sedentary societies susceptible to epidemic disease?
33. What impact did stored surpluses have on society?
34. How did foragers continue to have impact on settled communities?
35. How did the needs of society change as communities became bigger?
36. How/where do archaeologists find evidence of institutionalized hierarchies?
37. How and why did men begin to dominate over women?
38. What are cities and states and what caused them to emerge?
39. What caused imperial states to emerge and what were the limits on imperial rule?
40. What impact did the rise of large empires have on Afro-Eurasian political, social, and economic life?
41. What four world religions rose?
42. Did the Americas experience expanded political systems in the Agrarian Era? Cite evidence to support your answer.
43. The Vikings, Mongols, and Ming Admiral Cheng Ho are examples of what phenomenon in the era from 1000-1750?
44. What were the first two large imperial states in the Americas?
45. What roles did West European states play in global networks between 1000 and 1750?
Our World: The Modern Era
46. When did the “Modern Era” begin?
47. What political, social/gender, economic, and technological changes and continuities occurred in the modern era?
48. How has population growth in the modern era impacted the complexity and role of government?
49. In what ways was innovation in the modern era built on change that started in the Agrarian era?
50. How and why has the rise of commercial society increased innovation?
51. How did Western Europe fare in the Agrarian and Modern Eras? Why?
52. What were the time periods and characteristics of the 3 waves of the industrial revolution?
53. What impact did 19th century industrialization have on the wealth and power of countries?
54. How did industrialization change culture?
55. In what ways was the 20th century a time of rivalry?
56. What changes to global relations and power occurred after WWII?
57. What impact has global consumerism had on the earth?
Periodization in World History
58. What is periodization?
59. What are some of the THEORETICAL, ORGANIZATIONAL, EHTICAL, and TECHNICAL problems of periodization in World History?
60. Why are the periodization labels ANCIENT, MEDIEVAL, and MODERN problematic?
Read the following essay questions. Write a well-developed, elaborate (translation, 2 paragraph) response to the following 2 questions. Write these responses on a separate sheet of paper!!!
1. What factors influenced the development and spread of technologies through time?
2. Provide at least three ideas/theories that caused the most influential changes in the world. (for this question, you can provide at least one important idea per era.)